So you want to travel the world ? Perfect !
But how ? Light is the way to go and I’ll explain to you why 🙂
Here are some tips on how to travel light.
- Choose the right backpack. I don’t like travelling with a suitcase, because it’s more of a weight rolling it everywhere. When you are choosing your backpack, it must be : lightweight, confortable (try it a the store, don’t buy it online!), with pockets for your essentials.
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them. You will save precious space.
- Use packing cubes. You can find them at your local outdoor shop, or on the internet. Mine are from Kathmandu (I bought them in New Zealand) and Eagle Creek, and they work great.
- Create a capsule wardrobe. If you need some inspiration, I’ll put an article soon about my capsule wardrobe. Try picking clothes that goes together. When you are travelling light, you can’t bring your entire wardrobe with you. Every top should go with every bottom.
- Shoes. That’s a hard one. We tend to overpack them, especially if you are a woman. You should pack them according to what you are planning on doing.
If you are going for a city trip, you probably won’t need hiking shoes.
If you want to go hiking the Machu picchu, forget about bringing heels.
But don’t forget your flipflops, you will need them for hostels showers. You don’t want to go there barefoot, trust me 😉
- Electronics. I travelled with a 14″ laptop to New Zealand, and let me tell you, it was a nightmare dragging it everywhere. This time, I will only take my smartphone and my tablet (lighter). If you are not planning on editing videos, you probably don’t need to bring a big bag of electronics. Don’t overpack charging cables. Your micro-USB cable can probably charge your phone, your tablet, and your headphone… you don’t need to bring 3 cables 🙂
I recently bought a hub which can plug 6 micro-USB cables with one charger and let me tell you, it’s a game changer !
Wanna see what I will be packing for my trip ? Click right here !