First of all, I would strongly recommend you reading my article “How to declutter ?”
Now that you have decided what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of, here is how you should responsibly dispose of your clutter.
- example : you can use old T-shirts as rags. I found a lot of inspiration on Pinterest.
- Donate. Anything that is in good condition and you know can bring value to someone else, just drop it at your local charity shop. When I downsized my life, I donated everything !
- examples : Emmaüs (France), Goodwill (USA), Salvation Army (New Zealand)
- Sell. I would suggest trying to sell stuff is it’s worth 20$ or more, otherwise I feel that it is a waste of your time. You will put the stuff aside waiting for someone to buy them, and they will probably find a way back in your home.
- examples : Leboncoin (France), Craiglist (USA), Trade me (New Zealand)